Here is a post where I am going to talk about my opinion on the ‘best’ build, or at least the one that fits my play style the best and the gear that corresponds with it. First there are some things to know about the gear in Splatoon.
- Every day at 12AM (I believe I read that it was EST), the 6 pieces of gear in the shops rotates, this doesn’t mean all of it will rotate out, but a majority of it will update.
- Each piece of gear has one main ability, and up to 3 sub abilities. It takes 3 sub abilities of the same type to have the same effect as one main ability perk. The perks can stack, but there are diminishing returns on them. It is recommended to have 3 different main abilities and 3 sets of different sub abilities to get the most out of your perks.
- The stores aren’t the only places to get gear. You can order gear from Spyke, the blue haired guy in the top right of the plaza map. All you have to do is inspect another player in the plaza and press ‘X’ to order one of their pieces of gear. This will take a day for the order to come through and Spyke will charge you way more than if you found it in the store, but this allows you to buy exactly what you want.
- The branding on clothes isn’t just an abstract thing either. Each brand has it’s own percentage chance to roll certain sub abilities. I found a very helpful faq for reading up on abilities and brands on GameFaqs.
- You can re-roll and add sub slots to your gear at level 20 by visiting Spyke and investing 30,000 per slot.
The first thing to my Splatoon playstyle is my mantra: “Always Be Inking“. I prefer to always be covering the map in ink, even in ranked where the objective only requires you to cover a small portion of the map. The benefits to covering the map are tremendous. You get a move speed bonus while moving through your ink as a squid, allowing you to traverse the map faster. You build up your super with the ink you put down onto uncovered and enemy covered territory. Supers will help turn the tide of battle in your favor. You take more damage when you are standing on enemy ink, so it’s important to always be on your own ink.
Now onto my preferred perk build. The six perks that I prefer are:
- Ink Saver (Main)
- Ink Saver (Sub)
- Ink Recovery Up
- Swim Speed Up
- Special Charge Up
- Ink Resistance Up (Which is exclusive to shoes)
All of these things let me ‘Always Be Inking‘. Ink Saver (Main) and (Sub) reduce the cost of ink that it takes to use your primary and sub weapons. Ink Recovery Up makes it so that every time you turn into a squid in your own ink, you are refilling your ink canister that much faster. Swim Speed Up helps you to quickly traverse the map to be covering more of the map as quickly as possible. Special Charge Up is fantastic because your special abilities help to turn the tide of battle and the more of them per game the better. Finally, what may be the best ability in the game, Ink Resistance Up. This ability has saved me more times than I can count. Effectively it allows you to swim through enemy ink for a short time as well as take less damage while standing on enemy ink. This ability is key for hasty retreats when you are in enemy territory.
With that being said, I have compiled a list of all the gear that qualifies for these six perks.
|Gear Name||Type||Brand||Main Ability||Brand 5x Ability|
|Camo Mesh||Head||Fire Fin||Swim Speed||Ink Saver (Sub)|
|Jungle Hat||Head||Fire Fin||Ink Saver (Main)||Ink Saver (Sub)|
|Fake Contacts||Head||Tentatek||Special Charge Up||Ink Recovery Up|
|Fish Fry Visor||Head||Fire Fin||Special Charge Up||Ink Saver (Sub)|
|Red Vector Tee||Chest||Takoroka||Ink Saver (Main)||Special Saver Up|
|Rainy Day Tee||Chest||Krak-On||Ink Saver (Main)||Swim Speed Up|
|Choco Layered LS||Chest||Takoroka||Ink Saver (Sub)||Special Charge Up|
|Baseball Jersey||Chest||Fire Fin||Special Charge Up||Ink Saver (Sub)|
|Sunny Day Tee||Chest||Krak-On||Special Charge Up||Swim Speed Up|
|Neon Sea Slugs||Shoes||Tentatek||Ink Resistance||Ink Recovery|
|Red High Tops||Shoes||Krak-On||Ink Resistance||Swim Speed Up|
Special mentions to the unique chest perk Stealth Squid and the unique shoes perk Stealth Jump. It just doesn’t fit my current mind set, but I know a lot of people like to use them (especially ninjas).
With that being said, I found a ensemble of gear that matched my requirements. By wearing the head piece ‘Camo Mesh‘, the chest piece ‘Red Vector Tee‘, and the shoes ‘Neon Sea Slugs‘; I managed to get the six perks that I wanted! The best part is that I already owned two of them and the third I ordered from Spyke with a little help from my good friend Andrew.
If anybody has any other information that they feel should be included here, or just some opinions about my build, feel free to leave a comment below.